Thursday, April 2, 2009

apartment things


So some more of my favorite things I have found while searching for an apartment...

Crucial to living in a city without a car is the proximity of certain things like grocery stores, post offices, public transportation, coffee shops, bars, pharmacies, and whatever else you might need to walk to. At WalkScore.com you can find the "walkability" of your address: you just punch in your address and it will give you a score out of 100 based on how many stores and whatnot are nearby.

Living in the Murder Capitol of the US it is important to live in a safe neighborhood- Chicago has one of the most interesting development histories, resulting in a city where one moment you are safe and the next, on the same street, you are not. This never ceases to amaze me as I search for a safe place to live. Anyway there was another apartment website that I used when I first moved out here that was good- showed you safe areas to live on a map, but I can't find it. Does anyone know of a website like that? I'll keep searching.

The picture is of an old church converted to a ballet studio where I used to take ballet in Boston. Anyone know of any good ballet studios in Chicago?

*update: thanks Josy for the website. I also found this one that seems helpful: http://chicago.everyblock.com/(also displays filmings, etc in the area)

3 comments:

  1. as goofy says, "over, under, or through?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. my walk score's 92/100. wooo! what's yours?

    Murder capital??! yikes.
    Get some mace!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think this is what you're talking about, but this is what I've got:
    http://www.spotcrime.com/il/chicago

    ReplyDelete