Monday, April 6, 2009

ABLATION!



My brother tuned me in to this new music site. For free, it lets you add 50 songs that you can listen to at any time, and you can follow other people and see what they are listening too. You can also listen to any song once, completely through. It also allows you to give gifts of songs to other members, or people you follow. I've been listening to Decyfer Down and Imogen Heap nonstop. Good stuff. Incidentally Imogen Heap's mother is an art therapist which was my first career choice and for the first three years in college my main focus of study.

The above images are my submissions for our design assignment that is due tomorrow. We have been working with a medical process or topic most of the semester, designing an ad, a billboard, and a brochure for this one topic. Mine is Stereotaxis, a procedure that is now being used to treat cardiac arrhythmias, usually in ablation surgery. It's a catheter system that is controlled by a physician remotely, and allows for greater flexibilty in the catheter so it doesn't distort the heart as much. The top design is my ad, the bottom, my billboard.

I chose stereotaxis because my dad has atrial fibrillation, and is always sending me new procedures and findings on AF. He is a nerd like me (or rather I am a nerd like him) and likes to learn all about his diseases. His AF is controlled by medication right now but in the future he will probably need ablation surgery. He tells me he is waiting for this relatively new surgery to become more mainstream before he gets it. He puts it this way "Heidi, I'll let those doctors practice a bit more before I let them practice on me." ok, dad.

Incidentally we all have to print these off at Kinko's, and all have our share of Kinko-gone-awry stories. I will share some soon, along with more of my graphic work this semester. Right now I need to go rework my JohnScott et al., 2009 concepts, and if you too have the same assignment, I think you know what I mean.

4 comments:

  1. Your design is awesome!

    I LOVE imogen heap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow. those ads are awesome. i thought they were professionally done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The concept of Stereotaxis is a 'gentle touch' and less of viewing the heart as a target, which may offset some patients. The use of a maze is great in terms of the precision of the system, but it looks like a target.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Mel and Clover. That is great feedback, anon. I could probably adjust that by making the maze part a different color from the heart, so it's not so white-red-white like a target. I also think the gentle curve of the catheter offsets any target ideation. I could also decrease the star at the end of the catheter so its not like it's piercing the heart. Although I added the star to bring emphasis. I deliberately chose the symbolic catheter to not go through the maze, to show Stereotaxis can bypass the usual "maze" for simpler navigation.

    ReplyDelete